Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Homemade Laundry Soap

This is the original recipe. Over time I have changed it to fit more of my needs. I'll put how I changed it in parentheses after wards.

Laundry Soap (From Reader's Digest Homemade)

*1/2 cup soap flakes (I use Ivory Soap most of the time, but have been known to use whatever I've been able to get cheapest, just grate them finely, or run them through the food grater, and I usually grate up 5-6 bars)
*1/2 cup baking soda (I usually just dump in 3-4 of the small boxes)
*1/4 cup washing soday (I usually just dump in a whole box)
*1/4 cup borax (I just dump in a whole box of this too)
*(I add in 1/2 box of All-Color Bleach)

1. To make the soap flakes, lightly grate a bar of pure soap, such as Ivory, on a coarse kitchen grater (I've found if you coarsely grate it, they don't melt in the wash water)

2. In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Store in a tightly sealed container. (I usually keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket.)

3. Use about 1/2 cup of the mixture instead of detergent in each load of laundry. (I don't use near that much, I usually use between 1 Tablespoon & 1/3 of a cup, depending on how dirty the clothes are and the load size.)

1 comment:

  1. I have looked for a recipe for laundry soap and couldn't find a good one. I think I'll try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete