Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pantry Challenge Improvising...

Well, sometimes, when you go to cook something, you find you have run out of an ingredient... This happened to me tonight. When I went to make the fish batter for the fish, I discovered that I was plumb out of cornstarch! (That is a fairly big part of the batter.) I was elbow deep in dishes and cooking and such, so I had hubby go and see if he could borrow some from a neighbor. He very quickly came back and said that she didn't have any, but said that she had read a newspaper article that said that you could substitute flour 2:1 for cornstarch. So... here's the recipe that we used... I love the regular way, but it wasn't bad without the cornstarch... We did 1 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of cornmeal (to add in the corn flavor) instead of 3/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Oh, and we didn't have any garlic powder this time either, so we just left that out (again, better with it...)

Fish Batter

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoning Salt

Add 1 beaten egg after mixing the other ingredients. Flour fish then put in the batter. Fry in grease at Low Temperature 375*.

~*~We have found that we also like this batter for pork chops & chicken~*~
~*~I think it tastes somewhat like Long John's batter~*~

1 comment: